[Talk-us] I've been workin' on the railroad (in California)

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Jan 18 01:00:02 UTC 2015

Marc Gemis writes:
>When I work on tagging items that do not appear on the main map I
>use Overpass Turbo to track my changes. Since you can style the
>output, you might simulate the ORM rendering

So, paste this into http://overpass-turbo.eu, zooming into, say, the
San Francisco Bay Area as bbox, run:

[out:json][timeout:25];
(
   way["railway"]({{bbox}});
);
out body;
>;
out skel qt;

{{style:
way[usage=main] { color:orange;}
way[usage=branch] { color:yellow;}
way[usage=industrial] { color:brown;}
way[railway=abandoned] {color:red;}
}}

You'll get maybe three to ten megabytes back.  Those (optional, yet
quite tweakable and helpful) CSS style commands at the end are where
the fun lies, I'm just playing around with this example.  Awesome
tool/approach to track changes before edit, simulating ORM (or other
kinds of) rendering.  If not way["railway"]({{bbox}}); try
way["usage"]({{bbox}}); and look for differences.  An infinity of
possibilities awaits with this query-and-visualization
(query-and-gather-data...) tool, and practice makes perfect in
querying and seeing what you might like to see, but:  truly neat-o!

Marc says he has gone to sleep already, but I haven't, so thanks, Marc.

SteveA
California