[Talk-us] Pennsylvania's quadrant routes

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Jan 19 09:30:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-19 00:50, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Are they actually separate networks, though?  Just because there's more
> digits doesn't a different network make.

What distinguishes the various networks that a given agency maintains?
For our purposes, I think we're most interested in:

1. Significant differences in signage (signage type, shield designs,
bannered routes)
2. Potential overlaps in numbering

Given the extra digits, #2 is unlikely, but the quadrant routes are
signed very differently than ordinary state routes. It looks like
they're only indicated as secondary information on out-of-the-way
mile-markerish signs. (It also appears that conventionally one is
prefixed "PA" while the other is prefixed "SR".)

For example, here's a directional sign for PA 443:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4176740362/

There's a quadrant route number on the marker beneath it. It's the
four-digit number next to "SR", above "210". Unlike "PA 443", "SR 3009"
is inappropriate for how OSM clients use the `ref` tag. It might be
worth mapping inasmuch as bridge inventory numbers are worth mapping,
but I agree with James that we should keep mappers from conflating the
two systems. And if the solution starts with `ref:penndot`, there's no
need to square that with route networks in other states. :-)

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us