[Talk-us] Duplicate Ways (or portions of ways)

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 03:01:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/27/2015 05:33 PM, Dave Nesbitt wrote:
>> Is there a standard way to identify and remove ways that are duplicates
>> (or portions which are duplicates)?
>
> The OSM inspector displays overlapping roads (but not other overlapping
> features):
>
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=routing&lon=-77.76585&lat=41.30639&zoom=14

The trifecta of tools I use are geofabrik, KeepRight[1], and
ItoWorld[2].  The KeepRight doubled places check box may work.  I have
several boxes checked.  It is amazing how many things you actually
break without intending to do so.

 Each of the tools has advantages or different perspectives of the
problem. If I get bored with a theme of features that I am mapping, I
will often switch to one these to tools.  Some of the problems are
nice mental challenges.

ItoWorld is nice for several reasons but I don't think ItoWorld will
answer you question.  One, ItoWorld has a great TIGER fixup map.  Two,
where cartographers display the same road work over and over again,
there's some maps that show interesting data that mappers have mapped.
Seeing your work displayed is more inspiring that hearing about how a
data consumer will use the data. Oh to have a the useful Tiles at Home
butt ugly rendering back!  Tiles at Home = a mapper's map but I digress.

[1] http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php?zoom=18&lat=41.30782&lon=-77.80235&layers=B0T&ch=0%2C70%2C120%2C201%2C202%2C203%2C204%2C205%2C206%2C207%2C208%2C20&show_ign=1&show_tmpign=1

[2] http://www.itoworld.com/map/group/12