[Talk-us] Santa Clara County (California) address import?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Jan 30 09:05:09 UTC 2015

On 1/29/2015 9:38 PM, Tod Fitch wrote:
> First question, is their Creative Commons license [3] compatible with OSM? From previous list traffic from SteveA regarding California government data I believe that even if the CC license is not compatible with OSM the county data will be licensed appropriately and I could get the data directly from the county rather than through Open Addresses.
The OpenAddresses database is licensed CC0, but the individual datasets
in it have their own licenses.

You will have to see what the license is. It will probably be easier to
obtain the data directly.

> 1. Setup a separate account to use for importing data.
> 2. Break the data into managable chunks (one to a few square blocks).
> 3. Do one chunk at at time. "Doing" being defined as:
> 4a. Pull chunk into JOSM on one layer.
> 4b. Check for any existing addresses. Resolve discrepancies giving existing OSM data preference.
> 4c. For new addresses (not yet in OSM), verify the street names on the addresses are correct.
> 4d. For new addresses (not yet in OSM), verify the house numbers are plausible with the known numbering system in the area.
> 4e. Have a tag on each added or changed object indicating the source of the address data.

There are some tools that will handle de-duplication, leaving you with
only the new or differing addresses. Where you have a large number of
existing addresses, this saves a lot of time.