[Talk-us] Railway crossing challenge for MapRoulette

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:43:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com>
wrote:

>  Matijn,
>
>         By the way, what is the difference between "crossing" and
> "level_crossing"?

I treat highway=crossing the same as railway=crossing.  That would be a
place where a horse, bike, skateboard, foot path, etc. would cross the
railway.  I also apply all the related highway=crossing tags to the
railway=crossing nodes.  I've used this mostly around light rail crossings.

There are also additional tags that could be added to a "level
crossing": "A level
crossing (where a road crosses a railway, usually with a gate and big
flashing traffic light)".
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dlevel_crossing
That would require additional tasks to survey the crossings.  Adding the
crossings would be a good first step for a survey phase.  Armchair mapping
any survey mapping can coexist!

> At 03:30 PM 7/7/2015, you wrote:
>
> Hey Mike —
>
> Crossings already present in OSM will not be excluded, but can be easily
> skipped over. In most cases you can see them on the rendered map tiles so
> no need for a round trip to the editor.
>
> Martijn van Exel

I see the why Martijn would be hard pressed to exclude crossings that are
already in the OSM.  He's using the Federal Railway Administration, FRA,
data as a punch list in this challenge.  Perhaps you can add additional
features to a crossing in this challenge, if you know that bells and
whistles exist at a crossing.

Greg