[Talk-us] Railway crossing challenge for MapRoulette

Natfoot natfoot at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 05:28:07 UTC 2015

Great Topic,
Interesting that I have been doing my own research into this data set.   I
can tell you without a doubt that some of the information is way out of
date or wrong.   (http://fragis.frasafety.net/GISFRASafety/)
It is my understanding that railroads are supposed to report data like this
to the UTC (utilities and transportation commission) and in some way make
it back to the FRA.  You can find the more up to date Washington UTC data
set here:
http://www.utc.wa.gov/regulatedIndustries/transportation/rail/Pages/CrossingInventory.aspx

There is a new FRA regulation going into effect in October to place clear
emergency contact information at each level_crossing or Highway crossing.
  Lori Halstead of the Washington UTC hopes that following that deadline
that the FRA database will be updated.

One example, check any railroad crossing in the city limits of Kirkland,
WA; if it is active with a current listing for railroad it is out of date
by 5 years as the city owns the right of way and much of it has been turned
into a trail with no rail or crossing protections.

Best Regards,
Nathan P
email: natfoot at gmail.com