[Talk-us] Things that are not buildings but are used as one

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Mon Jun 1 14:59:50 UTC 2015

Yes, this is commonly done in OSM.   Generally speaking, anything with a footprint and some kind of roof can get a `building=*` tag.   In most cases people tag it as `building=yes` but you could really just make up anything for the tag value.   `building=riverboat` or `building=train_car` would be fine.

`building=no` is the only one (afaik) that downstream consumers need to watch out for.

Thanks, Bryan