[Talk-us] Truck stop gas stations as caravan_site

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Jun 1 15:34:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Jack Burke <burkejf3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was wondering if it is appropriate to tag truck stops with
> tourism=caravan_site. I've noticed a lot of them tagged this way,
> presumably because many of the truck stop chains allow overnight parking of
> RVs, some have dump stations, etc.
>
> The wiki on caravan_site seems to imply a more specialized place like a
> real RV campsite, which wouldn't include a truck stop.

The original intent of  caravan_site seems to be exactly for that: parking
lots for 1 or 2 night stays of caravans.
If the place was actually nice enough to stay for days, it would be a
camp_site.

Either way the truck stop might have amenities of sanitary_dump_station
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Toilet_Holding_Tank_Disposal>,
water_point, and perhaps amenity=toilets for humans.
If it has a sanitary dump station, but you don't know the exact location,
tag sanitary_dump_station=yes.
Tag sanitary_dump_station=no is important information here also.

In Europe there are hundreds of gravel parking lots marked caravan_site:
the sites consist sorely of a parking and (perhaps) water and toilet
facilities.