[Talk-us] National Forest "nature_reserve"?

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 01:20:28 UTC 2015

I've also imported a fair bit of state forests, parks, wildlife areas and
the like. From what I've read and interpreted, the boundary=protected_area
schema with all of its related tags are the *new* way of doing it, and
leisure=nature_reserve is the *old* way. Protected forests are literally
reserved nature, but the leisure part is a bit misguided.

I think that the folks that planned the boundary=protected_area tags would
probably like to see the leisure=nature_reserve and the one for parks
deprecated, but for now, we're seeing both tagging schemas used.

Examples:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3681581
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3681587

Best,