[Talk-us] a plea to armchair mappers

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Jun 11 16:46:23 UTC 2015

On 6/11/2015 10:41 AM, Richard Welty wrote:
> i am not persuaded that these armchair mappers are paying attention. unless
> there's a big warning "this imagery is X years old" that can't be
> ignored, i think
> the information will frequently be ignored.

   I've seen this problem also - an area marked for construction, all
roads bulldozed out, - the roads re-appear due to a TIGER<>OSM
comparison test because they're in Bing.

  An area where all buildings are demolished and a single large entity
takes its place, add a circle / rectangle with a NOTE around the area:
buildings reappear because they're in Bing.

   My current strategy is to leave the original objects, just remove all
tagging except for a note about Bing imagery dated xxxx is out of date.

   Warning that "this imagery is X years old" will produce many false
positives.  Imagery will very frequently be older than the last edit for
any particular object being updated.

   What about a new type of "OSM tagging for the editor"?  Tag a closed
way with bing=out_of_date , old_date=xxxx?   Editors would recognize
this tagging and put some sort of X indicator over the imagery if the
imagery is still old.   Putting up a big X, a series of X's, or the
phrase "out of date" over the imagery should catch anyone's attention.

   I wish I could find the old Email in which there was an edit war over
a roundabout intersection that had been reworked.   Finally, someone got
an image substituted in the editor that said "Not a Roundabout!".