[Talk-us] Data sources for National Monument boundaries?

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Jun 14 15:41:49 UTC 2015

Ian McEwen writes:
>Does anyone know where this data is available/usable for OSM purposes?

You might try
http://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/edw/datasets.php?dsetCategory=boundaries
where you can scroll down to "National Forest Lands with Nationally
Designated Management or Use Limitations" and download the shapefile.
(Shapefiles can be opened in JOSM if you also install a plugin).
These data only contain National Monuments WITHIN National Forests,
but the data are not even a week old, and are at least something.  I
don't know what is included in Arizona, but it's probably worth a
look.

If this is daunting, too large a dataset, or you need additional
technical help, email me and I'll send you my "Ten steps for getting
USFS data into OSM" tutorial, which I've sent out several times to
grateful recipients.

SteveA
California