[Talk-us] cycle.travel US bike routing, and unreviewed rural TIGER

Jack Burke burkejf3 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 20:03:15 UTC 2015

So, just for fun, I'm going through the area you pointed out and fixing some of the roads. I'm making some of those Unclassified instead of Tertiary because they go from nowhere to nowhere, but feel free to change them.

I plan on making a road trip in a few weeks, and depending on timing and weather, I might make a detour through that area and capture a random sampling of those roads in Mapillary.

-jack

On June 19, 2015 3:47:22 PM EDT, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>Just as a postscript to this discussion I thought I'd cite an example
>area.
>If you look here, in Georgia:
>
>   http://cycle.travel/map?lat=31.9023&lon=-84.0398&zoom=14
>
>you'll see that most of the roads are unreviewed TIGER residentials. Of
>those, these are adjacent to each other:
>
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359782 - good tarmac, should be
>highway=tertiary
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359913 - unpaved road;
>highway=unclassified, surface=unpaved
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359784 - probably tertiary, but lousy
>geometry at the S
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359783 - whoops, where did the
>connectivity go?
>
>All of this is trivially fixable but right now there's no way of using
>them
>for routing or sensible cartography. Do dive in - the cycle.travel
>rendering
>makes it obvious which bits need fixing, and you learn to identify the
>roads
>which are likely to be paved through roads and therefore targets to
>fix.
>It's quite good fun. :)
>
>cheers
>Richard
>

>--

Typos courtesy of fancy auto-spell technology.