[Talk-us] Your opinion about SOTM US

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Mar 2 21:50:21 UTC 2015

Hey Richard - thanks for your feedback, let me see.. As for 1) we are
planning a Workshop / Deep Dive track parallel to the hack day on Monday,
very similar to what was going on at SotM EU last June. I really enjoyed
being able to go back and forth from the hack room to the workshops, and
judging from the audience a lot of people did, so that is something I would
really like to copy :) By the way, I am looking for someone who can take
the lead in organizing that track, perhaps that would be up your alley? (Or
anyone else reading this?) Other than that, I would VERY MUCH like to have
a track set aside for advanced mapping topics - which can be survey
techniques (I really liked zverik's talk on car mapping for example),
tagging, or advanced editor use, plugin development perhaps? It all depends
on who actually submits talks on these topics, so please submit!

On the other hand, your point 2) about people with no OSM background - we
did a mapping 101 in DC led by Mele,
http://openstreetmap.us/2014/04/intro-osm-workshop/ but I think you're
thinking more about getting out and about. I don't know how good the
immediate surroundings of the UN building are for that, but perhaps we can
do an excursion on Monday in parallel with the hack day? Again, I would
need for someone to step up and lead this, but perhaps someone from the
local NYC community can do this. Or if you're thinking a talk, I think you
would probably the perfect person to give it :)

Martijn

--
Martijn van Exel
skype: mvexel