[Talk-us] Communication Working Group Proposal

Alex Barth alex at openstreetmap.us
Sun Mar 15 03:19:23 UTC 2015

This is great. Here are some concrete ideas where comms work for OSM.US
could be *much better*:

- Collect great stories of the OSM space and bring them on the OSM us blog:
interviews with interesting community members, highlight  data problem,
highlight a beautiful spot on the map
- Build bigger comms campaigns: OSM in education, OSM in government, OSM in
businesses. Series of blog posts, reaching
- Press work: getting the word out to all the big and small geo interested
media channels out there has been a challenge
- Community outreach work: similar to press - how can we notify related
communities of interesting OSM events and news?
- Write an awesome **newsletter** every other month with top stories from
the OSM space (we have 400+ members of OSM US as recipients, we could build
up a new newsletter just for updates)
- Write a manual for how to run a mapping party (sounds a bit odd for CWG
maybe, but I see most mapping parties falling short on comms, but doing
great otherwise. Simple things like where to advertise, take pictures, blog
what you did...)

Anyone with energy to push on comms is welcome. We have a coordination repo
on Github for comms. If you're interested in joining it say so and I'll add
you.

Alex

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> The US Chapter of OSM does not have a Communication Working Group. It like
> to see if there is interest in starting up a group to service the interests
> of the US Chapter with the goal of increasing the visibility of OSM within
> the US. I'd particularly like to hear from people with communication
> experience, not necessarily just with OSM.
>
> Having a CWG would also benefit us by helping to grow the mapper
> community. The more people hear about OSM, I think the more mappers we will
> gain. For example, I try to email via OSM every new editor in our Meetup
> area. I don't know how much this has helped, but we now have over 300
> members in our Meetup group. Unfortunately we only reach the segment of the
> population that has already found us. We need to reach a wider audience
> than those that stumbled on OSM. It is especially hard to reach women and
> minorities. That is where the CWG to make more people aware of OSM.
>
> If you are interested and have experience with communications, or just
> interested in helping, I'd like to hear from you.
>
> Clifford
> --
> @osm_seattle
> osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us