[Talk-us] Retagging hamlets in the US

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 08:01:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> My initial reaction to any automated edit is to break out in a rash.

I don't have the same reaction.  A long time ago I added building=entrance
to buildings.  That tag was deprecated in favor of entrance=* at some
point.  A mapper comes along and changes building=entrance to entrance=main
with a script.  I was about to send the mapper a thank you because he saved
me a bunch of time, when his work was backed out.  So there I am left
making the same changes manually that the script had already made.  My
manual edits added no additional value to what the script had already
accomplished other than wasting my time.  I could have worked on other more
important issues.

> 3) New mapper fixes the BadHamlet and starts mapping their favourite
> restaurants, bowling alleys and coffee shops.

This is a great idea but I believe that you have the experience backwards.
I can only speak for myself but as a new mapper but I had no interesting in
fixing things.  I mapped features of interest or where I found the most
rewards.  I didn't start "fixing" issues until I had a great deal of
experience.  In addition, I think some of these hamlets might require more
research than a new mapper would be willing to stomach.  I believe that you
might just run the new mapper off.

Regards,
Greg