[Talk-us] Retagging hamlets in the US

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Mar 19 22:12:45 UTC 2015

I apologize for coming in so late on this thread. Looking at my small
county, we have 55 place=hamlet according to an overpass query. (2007 for
Washington State) I certainly recognize a number of these "hamlets." I
would hate to see them removed. I would like to see if any need to be
updated to cities, for example Bow and Edison.

I know for certain that Edison Station is used by locals to describe an
intersection with some shops and restaurants. I doubt that more than a
couple of dozen people live here. Maybe the problem is how we tag these
areas. Instead of place=hamlet, maybe it should be
place=known_to_locals_as.

Looking at King County, especially Seattle, it appears that a number of the
place=hamlet are actually neighborhoods. We have been reluctant to add
neighborhood borders because of prior discussions on the mailing list
which, in essence, believe that neighborhoods don't have defined borders.
While I believe Seattle and others do have defined borders, I really don't
want to fight this all over.

My suggestion is to encourage people to clean up place=hamlet from local
knowledge. I fully concur with Richard Weait that we need to attract more
mappers.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle