[Talk-us] user damages administrative boundaries around Rapid City

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:54:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com> wrote:

> The last thing that I would want to do is involve the Data
> Working Group.

I'm sending this mail as a DWG member- but I'm only speaking for
myself, and not on behalf of the DWG.

I don't think most people realize that the DWG will often get
complaints, and usually don't take administrative action. It's quite
frequent that we get a complaint, and our resolution to the matter is
to mediate a disagreement, or focus on education of one or more
mappers.

Most of the time a resolution can be found without needing to take any
official DWG actions. The DWG member's role in those situations is as
a third party who can come in, hear everyone's side, and try to find a
resolution that works for all parties.

In fact, I think that one thing the DWG members would like is if more
mappers took time to try to find another solution before contacting
the DWG. Many times we'll get a complaint from one user about another
mapper's mapping practices and the person complaining hasn't used
changeset discussions to, or in some cases even having send someone an
in-system message. In other words, the person being complained about
may not even know that there's someone whose upset.

Reaching out to your fellow mapper should your first step in any
conflict resolution. If that doesn't work, the DWG is there to help,
and you should feel free to contact them.

The DWG email address is data at osmfoundation.org

- Serge