[Talk-us] New York, Ellis Island Boundary

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue May 12 00:37:39 UTC 2015

Jim McAndrew <jim at loc8.us> writes:
>This is correct, the island is part of NY, but the water is part of
>NJ, when they made the island bigger, the new land was in NJ.
>
>Similar to how Delaware has the entire Delaware Bay in its
>boundaries. They added some fill to the NJ side, and now there's a
>piece of Delaware connected to New Jersey:
><http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/39.6142/-75.5635>http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/39.6142/-75.5635
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns_Point>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns_Point

Might explain how OpenCycleMap is off in spots at z=9 with state
names at Pennsylvania/Maryland/Delaware (Delaware is a long way from
Cumberland).  I'm not aware of the history or explanation of that, so
perhaps I could have better read up on bug reports, Andy (Allan).

There are little messes in our map.  Yet, we do achieve harmony and
consensus.  Even with all the skipping of that middle there, I
continue to find OSM a most amazing project.

(Like, the way Bryce just stood up to help out now:  nice).

Stiching up admin_level=4 boundaries, ah, yup.  Quite a map we're
knitting here.

SteveA
California