[Talk-us] Calling Idaho bicyclist-mappers!

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu May 21 18:59:49 UTC 2015

United States Bicycle Route 10 has just been approved by AASHTO in
Idaho, and OSM has entered a nearly contiguous relation to document
this:

http://www.osm.org/relation/5167719

However, if you note, there are three minor gaps around Dover and
Sandpoint.  In Dover, the route goes:

Start Point    Miles Traveled    Turn Location/Road Name    Direction of Travel
4th Street     <0.1 miles         Right onto Loretta Lane
North
Loretta Ln     <0.1 miles         Straight onto Dover Shared-Use Path    East
Dover SUP     2.7 miles           Right onto Boyer Avenue
East
Boyer Ave    <0.1 miles          Left onto Lake Street
South

While we have the later part of the Dover Shared-Use Path which
parallels highway US 2 on the way to Sandpoint, we are missing the
part that connects 4th/Loretta Lane with it to around Rocky Point
Road.
http://www.osm.org/relation/5167719#map=16/48.2542/-116.5937

In Sandpoint, there are two new Shared-Use Paths:  the Sand Creek SUP
and the Kootenai Cutoff Road SUP.  Unfortunately, TIGER and Bing data
aren't especially helpful for us to create/enter/finish these, either:

Start Point    Miles Traveled    Turn Location/Road Name    Direction of Travel
Bridge Street     0.1 miles       Left onto Sand Creek SUP
East
Sand Creek SUP  2.6 miles      Right onto Kootenai Cutoff Road SUP  North
KCR SUP            1.4 miles       Left onto Idaho Highway 200             East
http://www.osm.org/relation/5167719#map=14/48.2948/-116.5389

OSM has "stubbed in" Sandpoint's new roundabout and part of the Sand
Creek SUP, and there is what appears to be part of the Kootenai
Cutoff Road SUP.  As much of this bicycle infrastructure as is
"known" (in OSM) has been included in the USBR, however, the above
link shows the two gaps.

Please:  if you are an Idaho OSM volunteer and can help do an
on-the-ground survey to complete the last few miles of this recent
bicycle infrastructure, our USBRS WikiProject sure would appreciate
the completion!

Thank you in advance,
SteveA
California