[Talk-us] Maxweight in the USA

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Nov 2 23:39:53 UTC 2015

On 11/2/2015 2:28 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
> My view is that this isn't much different than speed limits. We don't
> tag maxspeed=96.5606, we tag maxspeed=60 mph. Tag what's on the sign.
> The complicating factor on this is of course that "ton" has at least 3
> different meanings but I would generally assume that weight
> restrictions in the U.S. are tagged in short tons because that's what
> is on the sign.

I would also agree with this, and I'm from a country that uses metric units.

This is distinct from peaks, which have a height which does not depend
on signage and is a measurement of the physical world. It's possible for
two people to measure the same peak and get different measurements, but
assuming decent signage* two people will get the same maxweight or
maxspeed for the same road.

The pendant with an engineering physics in me also desires to point out
that neither metric tonnes or short tones are SI base units, and both
are derived units. The SI base is kg, or you could measure in Mg.

* Yes, signage is sometimes not decent.