[Talk-us] Maxweight in the USA

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 5 10:23:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The relevant wiki page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxweight
> does say "as of September 2014 only metric units of weight (metric tonnes
> or kilograms) are supported for this tag".  I'm unaware of any discussion
> prior to the 17 September 2014 change (not that that means that it didn't
> happen, just that I'm unaware of it).

I tag maxweights with units regularly, as despite the fact OklaDOT works in
metric nearly exclusively internally, the nearest safe round number
equivalent is used instead (ie, 100km/h becomes 60 MPH) for signage, and
I'm going by the ground truth or public records (which use the third-world
"pound/US ton/feet/miles/mph" system).