[Talk-us] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in, favor of relations

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Nov 9 15:07:22 UTC 2015

On 11/9/15 9:39 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> In the issue on Github, you remark:
> "I'm contemplating closing this. As above, there are currently serious
> data issues in the US that prevent route relations from being used for
> rendering shields. If someone wants to take up the data quality issue,
> I could leave it open or re-open in the future, but unless it changes,
> I just can't see any way to make use of the route relations."
>
> That gives a horribly bleak outlook. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding
> what you say there, but it comes across as saying that the problem is
> forever unfixable, and that the hard work people have put in so far
> into generating route relations is all for naught, either because it
> remains incomplete or because the data model of route relations is
> fundamentally incompatible with shield rendering.

there's a chicken and egg problem here. you need mappers to work to fix
up route relations but it's hard to get motivated unless something visibly
happens with them.

this is the strategy i would use if i were able to contribute any time
(which
is unlikely for the next several months):

1) update the stylesheets for the proof-of-concept; they need to be
based on the current carto sheets going forward (if i remember correctly,
the proof-of-concept is pre-carto.)

2) bring up a map based on this up on a US chapter website, clearly
stating that its a demo/proof of concept for US shield rendering

3) make the needs/requirements for growing out the shield rendering
well known to the community. issues that require some care would include

a) svg files for shield types that are currently not represented (mostly
obscure county route signage)

b) the mapping files for shield->route (again, mostly county routes as
far as i know.)

the result will be that US based mappers will have a place they can go
look to see the results of their work. this, i think, would be a pretty
powerful motivator, and it doesn't require any action on the part of
the maintainers of the map on openstreetmap.org

it might be that the shield based rendering sticks on the US map
and never makes it to the international map, and that would be ok.

the key thing, i think, is that mappers have little motivation to work
on route relations if they don't actually get used by anything. show
them something and they might get interested again.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search