[Talk-us] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in, favor of relations

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Nov 9 15:52:45 UTC 2015

On 11/9/15 10:32 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Richard Welty wrote:
>> the key thing, i think, is that mappers have little motivation to
>> work on route relations if they don't actually get used by
>> anything.
> Don't forget that the issue is not an endemic issue with route relations,
> it's just an osm2pgsql issue.
>
> osm2pgsql is the most popular tool for loading data into a database for
> raster rendering. But it's not the only one; that's not the only use case
> for OSM data; and who knows whether osm2pgsql will remain pivotal as vector
> rendering supersedes raster rendering. I use Interstate route relations as a
> small part of cycle.travel's routing algorithm, for example. "Anything" is a
> big word!
this is all true. but most mappers have no visibility into alternate
data consumers that might use the data. an alternate rendering
demonstrating visible use of route relations might make all the difference
in the world.

paul's comment in github is true, there is a huge amount of work to be
done with US route relations. if we want to think of the rendering on
openstreetmap.org as our "production" rendering then route relations are
not ready and won't be for a very very long, if ever. so i think we should
at least start talking about an alternate rendering derived from Phil's work
at a suitable location. i'm completely swamped with teaching and with
the work i'm doing for the NTF right now, but the latter at some point will
ease up (i hope) and i should be able to pitch in.
richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search