[Talk-us] San Diego Address Import Update

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Nov 10 16:23:36 UTC 2015

On 11/10/15 11:09 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com
> <mailto:tod at fitchdesign.com>> wrote:
>
>     So what is a good definition for what should go in the addr:city
>     tag? If it is based on being within a formal administrative
>     boundary then we may not need the tag at all as it should be easy
>     for a data consumer to detect that. I have come to the conclusion
>     that the addr:city is best to indicate what the locals feel their
>     town name is. In the western US my impression is that has a high
>     correlation with the USPS designation. Further, when dealing with
>     any financial or government entity, it seems the city they want to
>     hear about is the one the post office delivers to, not some subset
>     or superset defined by a formal boundary of an incorporated town
>     or city. So equating the post office town name with the OSM
>     addr:city value seems proper to me.
>

> +1

the real problem is that the tagging scheme we are using didn't consider
the divergence between postal and administrative city names and is
insufficiently
rich to express the details.

it'd be good to consider what the actual use cases are for the data. the
most obvious
one is geocoding, and a case can be made that geocoders based on both
types of city
names are useful.

i can also imagine querying OSM for the data for other GIS style
purposes and wanting
either type.

at the present time, we can derive admin city from admin boundaries if
they are present.
if we discard the postal city name, though, we can't derive it from any
thing else in OSM,
as there are no postal boundaries that function like city admin
boundaries. you can sort
of fake it using census bureau ZCTA boundaries, but the mapping from
ZCTA to city is
missing and it would take a bit of work to put that together.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search