[Talk-us] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in, favor of relations

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Thu Nov 19 13:31:05 UTC 2015

paul johnson wrote:
 > On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
 >
 > > russ wrote:
 > >  > Paul Johnson writes:
 > >  >  > I was really hoping the latest carto would have included
 > >  >  > relations and graphical shields myself, since that's almost
 > >  >  > a throwaway ticklist item for maps (and particularly online
 > >  >  > maps) the world over these days.
 > >  >
 > >  > I took the time to create relations for all of my county's routes
 > >  > because I wanted to see them rendered with graphical shields.
 > >
 > > thinking about the term "sunset" in the subject:  when route relations
 > > are created, does that mean the ref= tags go away?  seems like there's
 > > a need for a transition period in there somewhere.
 > >

 > Obviously there needs to be a sunrise for consumers to catch up, but
 > eventually the dinosaur needs to be killed.  There's some places where the
 > way has a ref unique to the route, as noted on the ground, that currently
 > isn't easy to map thanks to the associated tag already being used to
 > identify the ref of an entirely different entity (the route relation).  I'm
 > also suggesting that the quicker we do this, the more painless it'll be.

okay.  then, speaking as the maintainer of an independent renderer:
where are such sunrise/sunset transitions announced/scheduled/tracked?
is the "announce" list the place to be?  (all i usually see there is
server outages.) can someone point me to a region (most of) whose
routes have been converted, for testing?

(i should add that it's entirely possible that this transition was
announced and discussed and declared imperative on every single list
in all caps at some point, and i might have missed it.  i took a long
break from map projects until recently when i had some new energy and
time to spare.)

paul