[Talk-us] Railway = racetrack ?!

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Nov 24 08:19:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:

> I've never noticed this sort of oval railyard in the US before.   At first
> glance, I was thinking railway=racetrack, but of course it isn't.   It
> seems to be some sort of grain depot, but that's the fanciest rail network
> I've ever seen for a grain depot.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/36.2834/-89.1455

Something of a somewhat common arrangement for industrial and agricultural
branches where space allows for it, as it reduces the frequency of having
to make backing movements to just coupling and uncoupling movements.  This
allows the branch to be served by a single switch locomotive (or even a car
tug operated by the facility instead of the railroad) with a crew of only
one or two instead of three or four.  Better visibility for the driver and
predominantly forward movements also improves safety.