[Talk-us] Downgrading 'motorways' around toll plazas?

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 13:35:27 UTC 2015

Does anybody think it is a good idea to downgrade 'motorways' around toll plazas to 'trunk' highways?  I just noticed a user did this in mass in NY and MA along I-90/I-87. [1] [2]  He's even done this in PA a few times. [3]

I've also noticed several problematic changesets this user has done in the past.  I've left several comments on some of his changesets [4] [5] and he's never responded to them except once, and that was after sending him a few PM's (1 per month) till he finally responded only partially to my question in it. [6]  That leads me to believe that he's either completely ignoring the e-mails, or he's not even getting them.  Also, in that one comment that he did leave (in [6]), he pretty much completely ignored my question (if he had been there and saw shields for this 'new' route since I don't want to delete 'valid' data) and said that he works '12 hour days'.  Honestly, if he can still find time to do big OSM edits and work for 12 hours a day, can't he spare a minute or two to respond to a comment left for him instead of taking 2 months to reply?  I mean, even if I was busy and somebody left a comment on a changeset I did, I would try to make a few minutes to respond back within a day or two (week tops) of the comment.  This is a community project and everybody needs to work together and not ignore each other.

Another problem with this user is that he almost always keeps using the same changeset comment of "using bing imagery to update map" which is completely useless to tell what he's really doing in each changeset.  Drives me nuts, especially with a few other things he's been doing like adding the PA Quadrant routes into the ref tags (which btw, I invited him several times to participate in the conversation about them here on talk-us back in January '15 so he could state why he thought they should be in the 'ref' tag and he kept saying he would, but never did via PM, which I can provide screenshots to the DWG if they asked for them) even though they are 'unsigned' and aren't for navigational purposes since they aren't in the Keystone shields (comment on one such changesets I left for him on that subject [4]).  He's also been adding some routes that don't even exist anymore, or never existed in the first place (a few US 'bannered' highways in a few places). [7]

So, has anybody else had any 'luck' getting more concrete conversations out of this user?  I mean, I don't want to have to ask the DWG for a temporary block just to ask him to respond to the changeset comments left by me and a few other users, unless other users haven't had any luck getting him to respond as well, since that option is a last resort.

-James

[1] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34537712
[2] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34532178
[3] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34144759