[Talk-us] OpenStreetMap US elections: October 12 townhall with candidates

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Oct 14 22:10:38 UTC 2015

Great points in this thread. I feel more inspired than ever to work on improving the US map, whether I will be on the board or not. We have a great group of mappers in the US, it’s just way too small.

I want to pick up on the word ‘community’ which is used differently by different people to suit their needs. When I talk about community I mean you - the folks who actually map, build the tools to enable others to map, and organize the events that mappers come to. Not companies and institutions that use OSM or are interested in doing so.
I would be curious to hear the other candidates define community.

Suggesting that board members need to be heavy mappers is really beyond the pale and I thought we had dispensed with this notion years ago. It is sad to see it rear its head again. I have worked with a great group of people this last year and couldn’t have cared less if they had made 10 edits or 10000.

Lastly. Everyone, please do vote. It’s important we hear from you now. We can only function if we have a strong mandate from you, the mappers.

Martijn