[Talk-us] understanding administrative boundary relations

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 23:51:50 UTC 2015

The area you linked to has no boundary data in OSM. You don't state
this in your email but by pulling up the TIGER shapefile, it looks
like you are wanting school district boundaries? I see one runs
through the area you linked to, in the shapefile. School districts
were not imported into OSM. The only things that were imported from
TIGER is roads, state, county and city boundaries.

Administrative boundaries in OSM have always been a tricky subject.
OSM thrives on information that can be verified by someone standing on
the ground, looking around and seeing something that can be put into
the map. Administrative boundaries are (usually) not that way. They
are imaginary lines drawn on the map. Sometimes they follow physical
features but often they don't. So the only source to verify or update
them is to go back to the imaginary line drawer and ask for an update.

Because of this, I think boundaries in OSM tend to deteriorate in
quality quicker than other features. Sometimes people modify a way
that is part of a boundary relation and don't realize that they are
affecting the boundary. I have done a lot of work fixing up boundaries
(mostly county) across the country and there are definitely a million
ways to break them.

If you want an example of an admin boundary in OSM, here is the
Sunnyvale city boundary relation:

Toby