[Talk-us] Another road classification disagreement (this time with HFCS in Kansas)

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Sep 6 11:50:06 UTC 2015

On 9/6/15 6:26 AM, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 9/6/2015 1:24 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
>> US 24: two lanes, undivided, 65 MPH speed limit, narrow shoulders
>> US 81: four lanes, divided by a 50 foot median, 70 MPH speed limit, 10
>> foot shoulders
>>
>> I'm pretty sure US 24 also has a lot more random driveways and farm
>> access roads than US 81 although 81 does have some (and hence is
>> definitely not eligible for motorway tagging)
>>
>> You can clearly see the difference between the roads in Mapillary. US
>> 24[4] and US 81[5].
>
> Based on this, it's unlikely the US 24 and US 81 serve the same
> classification in the road network, and should be different highway tags.

i tend to agree. while the HFCS is worthwhile as an advisory, when it
differs
significantly from observation, we need to stick with what we see on the
ground.
i could see having an HFCS tag which carries that value for informational
purposes, but it shouldn't control our own classification.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search