[Talk-us] Should driveways be on OSM?

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:48:16 UTC 2015

I run into this as well. If I don't see anything close to the way on
imagery I definitely have very little problem deleting them.

I also question the access=private tagging although not because of the
rendering. I mean technically it is correct I suppose but if you are
trying to route to an address at the end of a long driveway, the
router should tell you to go down the driveway. Tagging it as
access=private would probably prevent that from happening in most
routers. I would say access=destination might be more accurate however
really I think data consumers should know what highway=service and
service=driveway together mean and appropriately handle it without an
explicit access tag.

Toby