[Talk-us] Should driveways be on OSM?

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Sep 28 18:51:08 UTC 2015

Nate Wessel <bike756 at ...> writes:

>     I delete plenty of TIGER driveways myself (mostly in the midwest,
>     *highfive*!), but I wouldn't say that the accurate ones should be
>     removed. If they can be identified as private driveways, they could
>     more easily just not be rendered on a map with no loss of accurate
>     data for people who might find that sort of thing useful. My general
>     approach has been to leave the truly accurate ones untouched, but to
>     delete anything who's deletion leaves the map more accurate. I just
>     don't feel inclined to redraw them.
>     I should specify, this is my (personal) policy only for untouched
>     TIGER imports.

*Highfive!*

I'd only add that, while I've never found it a priority to map most
driveways, I do try to map every shared driveway I encounter. (I look for at
least two houses attached to the same driveway.) Shared driveways are the
rural/suburban functional equivalent to urban alleys, and some subdivisions
are chock full of them. I'd want routers to be able to direct their users a
bit beyond the mailbox in those cases. To me, shared driveways are less
tedious to map and more important for routing than aisles in parking lots.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us