[Talk-us] Find missing roads

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Sep 30 18:40:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> Our OSM team cooked up something new. A missing roads plugin for JOSM. I
> think it's pretty nice but I would really like to hear what you think.

Neat, has potential.

You can read some more about it on my diary (http://bit.ly/missingroads)
> but it's basically what it says on the tin. The plugin will show where we
> think roads are missing from OSM based on GPS data so you can add them :)

 Based on whose GPS data from where?  I trust the source in this question
is completely halal, kosher, gluten-free, vegan, organic, free-range,
all-natural data, but some of the output I'm getting from it is rather
odd.  Take, for example, this screenshot in JOSM near node 148319848
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/148319848#map=14/36.1758/-95.8591> in my
neighborhood.

​
Other than highlighting my own inadvertently selective blindness (what with
having not mapped the large and aging chain link fence factory on the
northeast corner of the intersection; Brinks behind my favorite QuikTrip
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/360912244#map=16/36.1769/-95.8668> only
recently appeared on Bing), I do find two things remarkable about this
plugin's output:

   1. It seems to have picked out an incomplete set based on the paths
   relative to imagery.
   2. I have no way of being able to survey the exact location of the GPS
   output from the plugin from the ground (it's inside a fence factory, *of
   course* it's fenced off!), so I can only assume the GPS was located on
   one of those big diesel-powered forklifts.