[Talk-us] Find missing roads

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Sep 30 19:37:27 UTC 2015

On 9/30/2015 2:40 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>  I do find two things remarkable about this plugin's
> output:
>
>  1. It seems to have picked out an incomplete set based on the paths
>     relative to imagery.
>  2. I have no way of being able to survey the exact location of the GPS
>     output from the plugin from the ground (it's inside a fence factory,
>     /of course/ it's fenced off!), so I can only assume the GPS was
>     located on one of those big diesel-powered forklifts.

   I had a look at the plugin - it does find some interesting things.  I
find that truckers use the Scout App, and the profile where they drive
around a huge factory to pick up / drop off a load appears the same as
if a car is going through a previously unknown subdivision.

   So once the plugin identifies an area of interest, confirm with
imagery or TIGER for the next step
    - add driveways to a factory
    - Add new road(s) from TIGER
    - Schedule the area for a survey

   The odd cloud of points comes from random inaccuracies of a
smartphone inside a vehicle, and excluded for a certain distance from
existing roads to minimize false positives.