[Talk-us] Communications manager

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Fri Apr 1 19:01:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 1, 2016, at 12:42 AM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/1/2016 12:22 AM, Greg Morgan wrote:
> >> I would think that the US Board should add another board member to be a
> communications manager.  I now understand why corporations have paid staff
> that do nothing but manage all these communication options.
> >
> > Why would this need to be a board member as opposed to another volunteer
> managing communications without being a board member?
>
> Because volunteers tend to be terrible at doing work that isn’t fun.

Good thing board members are paid, then! Oh, wait ;)

Seriously, I'm with Paul- a designated group of volunteers who actually
enjoys and wants to do this would create a lot of value. (Casually engaged
people like me would get a lot out of it.)

But making the board *more* of a working board is not a healthy trend.
Except in a few very, very key areas (finance, mostly) the board should be
about identifying issues and encouraging people to work on them, not doing
things themselves.

Luis