[Talk-us] Communications manager

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 04:31:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Luis Villa <luis at lu.is> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

>> a communications manager.  I now understand why corporations have paid
>> staff that do nothing but manage all these communication options.
>> >
>> > Why would this need to be a board member as opposed to another
>> volunteer managing communications without being a board member?
>>
>> Because volunteers tend to be terrible at doing work that isn’t fun.
>>

> Good thing board members are paid, then! Oh, wait ;)
>
> Seriously, I'm with Paul- a designated group of volunteers who actually
> enjoys and wants to do this would create a lot of value. (Casually engaged
> people like me would get a lot out of it.)
>
> But making the board *more* of a working board is not a healthy trend.
> Except in a few very, very key areas (finance, mostly) the board should be
> about identifying issues and encouraging people to work on them, not doing
> things themselves.

Luis, I am one hundred percent behind you.  Just like with Martijn, I
helped out with a starting wiki page. A blank page is no fun.  Here you
go.[1]  Go man Go!  If you have the secret sauce to grease the wheels, then
document away.  You would answer the problem for US OSM and many other
volunteer organizations. Please remember, the US Board is still the owner
and would require approval when you have an implementation plan with your
"casually engaged people."  I've been around enough people from Missouri to
say, "Show Me!"  Well then there is Linus Torvalds: “Talk is cheap. Show me
the code.”  I also found two links that provide you with another
perspective on Steve's statement, "Because volunteers tend to be terrible
at doing work that isn’t fun." [2], [3]

As always we'll be watching and supporting you.  I've have a watch marked
on the wiki page so that I can cheer for you.

I hope this helps,
Greg

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/United_States/Communications