[Talk-us] Optimal / preferred checkin sizes

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:20:37 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Steve Friedl <steve at unixwiz.net> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>

> I spend way too much time in JOSM mapping my local area, but I’ve never
> really known how to best batch changes.
>

> Sometimes it’s obvious: if I work on a certain feature (say, adding
> details of fire stations), I add them and check them in one at a time, but
> sometimes I’m doing cleanup of a large area with no obvious breaking points.
>

> I don’t think that 3 square miles of road straightening ought to go in a
> single [enormous] batch, but I’m not sure that 100 entries of the form
> ‘Straightened Main Street in MyTown” / “Straightened Elm Street in MyTown”
> / “Straightened Euclid Steet in MyTown” is really adding any value.
>

> How does one decide how best to check stuff in?

The two words that say creativity is dead are "Best Practices".  In my
case, I don't care!  ;-)  Enjoy mapping.  If what you are mapping takes you
into a large area of work, then don't worry about it.  Part of my answer is
based on the density of mappers in my region and the US in general.  I've
been know to map for 12 hours in one change set.  I've had two conflicts in
six years.  Both of them were very odd and edge cases in my experience. I
have never thought about the size of the area that I map.  By all means
leave a change set comment.  You are communicating with other mappers. I
found that the change set comment is a frail thing.  It may not always
cover the mapping at hand regardless of the size of the area.  I will also
add note tags to features.  There are times where I cannot survey an area.
If there could be a question of why I made the change or why I split a way,
then the note tag becomes a mini comment about that decision.  It is also
another form of communication. I forgot who mentioned this on the list, but
if there is potential issue about a road that was removed because of
construction, then I will draw in a way and add a note tag explaining the
issue.  That way this whole pointless issue of arm chair mapping verses
survey mapping is removed from the joy of mapping!

Remember: have fun!  Mapping takes you into the spatial part of your
brain.  The logical side of your brain takes a rest.  That is the best part
of mapping.

Regards,
Greg