[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] combining nodes with ways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Aug 11 19:07:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 9:54 AM, BenoƮt Barteaux <witoomard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Actually Frank has got a point. We could use a specialization approach and
> add postal codes on cityes that support this scheme (France, Spain). Then,
> for cities that don't use this scheme (as you said CA, US, UK), we can add
> single postal codes to POI until the post gives us the rights to import the
> zones.

Obligatory mention that US ZIP codes come in 2 varieties, only the version
nobody uses is open:

   - Census zip codes that roughly and very loosely describe vague areas
   (plus a *huge* number of completely weird ones nobody would recognize
   where the Postal Service does *not* deliver), and these are open.
   - Postal service 9-digit (aka "ZIP+4") variety that describes a specific
   postal route and group of destinations (usually no more than ~10-12; the
   trailer park I lived in had *14* zip+4s for a single multitenant
   property despite all ~240 mailboxes being on the same street corner), not
   areas.  These are proprietary and the only ZIP you'll find in addresses.