[Talk-us] San Louis Obispo CA area - Chimney Wildfire - OSM US Tasking Manager Project

Jonathan Schleuss jschleuss at me.com
Thu Aug 18 04:44:55 UTC 2016

Mike and all,

Great questions! I'll let Blake answer the other question, but I figured I could chime in on the first, since I was about to message the group anyway.

We've got another series of tasks [1] to improve roads near the Blue Cut fire [2], which has caused the evacuation of more than 80,000 people. A lot of the area has roads mostly untouched since the 2007 TIGER data was added. Several still have the tiger:reviewed=no tag.

Blake was very kind to add another series of task for this new fire. Please jump in if you're available. I can not promise that the data will be immediately used, but we at the Los Angeles Times are making a lot of maps of the region (mostly zoomed out). [3] Since the fire is quite bad we may eventually locate areas severely damaged or destroyed by the fire. An improved map is invaluable. This is also a good example of a crowd-sourced quickly fixed map for emergencies in the U.S.

Thanks to everyone who edited and validated near the Chimney wildfire!

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

cheers,
Jon Schleuss

[1] http://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/61
[2] http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4962/