[Talk-us] Freeway exit tagging

David Mease meased3 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 04:06:41 UTC 2016

My interpretation:

What is the proper method to use turn:lanes to tag freeway lanes
>> approaching an exit, where the exit branches directly from an edge lane
>> without being part of the freeway itself, but the freeway lanes are not
>> signed with an arrow, such as this one?
>>  http://mapillary.com/map/im/7igAGXSa6EsUYlTIujXchw

This exit has no turn lane. There is no staging lane prior to the exit
where tags could be placed, one should not be created just so that there is
a place to put tags. This freeway should not be split. You said yourself
that the exit is not part of the freeway itself, so tags should not be
placed on the freeway. This intersection is a candidate for the destination
tag.

> mapping the road markings seems extremely strange - what if they are very
> faded, when do we map them ? is there a threshold of % of the paint left ?

what is there are no road markings but there are signs ?

Same difference. But the arrow in the above example is pointing to where
the exit is, not describing a turn lane preceding the exit.

> do we remove those tags during the winter in some regions ?

Do we remove the name tag from roads when the street signs get iced over or
overgrown with vegetation?

mapping of markings separately also seems to have no functional benefit.
> the information should be useful for navigation

Road markings are both beneficial and useful for navigation. Cities and
governments have paid a lot of money installing them all over globe
precisely for these reasons. OSM would be well served to include them
exactly as is. I don't hear a lot of people complaining about how those
arrows on the roads led them astray.

In the above example, I would not expect navigation software to direct me
to get into the lane marked with a slight right arrow. In fact, I would be
miffed when I found there was no such lane. All I would expect is a simple
"In x distance take exit 78 towards Sycamore/Ocilla"