[Talk-us] Potential data source - NY DEC points of interest

Adam Franco adamfranco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 19:40:28 UTC 2016

Hello all,

After doing a bit of hiking and canoeing in the Adirondacks this summer I
noticed that OSM has very poor coverage of campsites & lean-tos, something
I'd find particularly useful. The New York DEC POI shapefile
<http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/inventories/details.cfm?DSID=1258> has the
locations and details of these available and regularly updated.

Before going down the road of putting together an import proposal I wanted
to find out if anyone has information about usage grants for the DEC data
sets. From following this list I've heard that Kevin Kenny has imported
other DEC lands shapefiles for the park and area boundaries:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2016-May/016290.html

Do you Kevin [or anyone else] know if permission to use DEC lands also
applies to other DEC data sets or if additional permission would be needed?

I've added an entry about this data souce to the OSM Wiki's Potential
Datasources page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#New_York> and
would like to update it with more concrete information either from
usage-grants already received or by making a new request to use the data.

Any info or feedback on this datasource would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Adam