[Talk-us] Relation roles: Clockwise and Counterclockwise route directions? (e.g. Pittsburgh's Belts)

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Dec 26 21:59:24 UTC 2016

Not sure about the beltway example, but I prefer having one relation for each direction of a highway and then a super relation to tie those two together. That avoids the issues you pointed out earlier where one direction may take a slip/link while the other direction does not. It also makes it easy to see, at least in JOSM relation editing, that all the segments link up properly. And finally, though probably not as important, allows one to mark each segment in the relation with “forward” which is universally understood by the whole tool chain while many have issues with members marked as “north”, “south”, etc.

I suppose one could handle the beltway example with a CW relation and a CCW relation, with all members being tagged as “forward”, and then a super relation to tie those to together. Signage with stuff like north/south on them could be handled with destination sign tagging.