[Talk-us] Unreviewed rural roads vs Strava heatmap

Wed Dec 28 13:40:05 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've knocked up a quick composite view which combines the Strava heatmap
(http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/) with rural unreviewed residential roads:

	http://osm.cycle.travel/unreviewed.html

The base layer is the Strava heatmap, i.e. where people have cycled
(and, seemingly, canoed). "Reviewed" roads (i.e. everything apart from
highway=residential, tiger:reviewed=no, in rural areas [1]) are then
blanked out in black.

The result is a map of rural roads where people cycle but which are
still tagged as highway=residential, tiger:reviewed=no. I built this for
my own fixup work but I figured others might find it useful.

Such roads should probably be one of

	highway=tertiary (good quality through-route, probably with centreline)
	highway=unclassified (minor paved road)
	highway=unclassified, surface=<something> (minor unpaved road)
	highway=residential, tiger:reviewed=yes (minor paved residential road)
	highway=residential, surface=<something> (minor unpaved residential road)
	highway=track (unpaved and ungraded etc.)
	or just plain deleted (thanks TIGER)

As ever, please don't mark unpaved rural ways as 'reviewed' without
adding a surface tag (and/or changing to highway=track) or I shall
personally hunt you down and turn you to surface=compacted. Thank you. :)

cheers
Richard

[1] the data comes from cycle.travel's rendering database which does a
few other tweaks, so this isn't 100% true. But you get the general idea.
cycle.travel updates once a month or thereabouts, so please don't expect
the map to reflect your changes quickly.