[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Beware Pokemon users

Rihards richlv at nakts.net
Fri Dec 30 19:31:56 UTC 2016

On 2016.12.30. 21:19, Bill Ricker wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org
> <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>> wrote:
>
>     I wonder how we would politely license-check Niantic...
>

> ‚ÄčTraditional map copyright violation proof would be adding a Trap Close‚Äč
> ... do the have a map that shows name of feature that spawns critters?
> Adding a nonsense footpath to no-where (shaped like a P ? ) in a
> non-existent park and checking if it shows up in the PoGo in a few days
> would do.

the reports on this seem to indicate that they do not use anything close
to realtime data - more like a year or more old, according to some
anecdotal evidence.

also, this is not about the visible map data (that still seems to be the
assumption here and there). map data is clearly from google maps.
what the pokemon go community is suggesting - that some of the osm data
is used to make pokemon spawn there more often - or to make specific
types appear. that's vague enough to require a pretty large dataset to
prove to a reasonable degree.

besides the potential lack of attribution, we should concentrate on
attracting pokemon go players as mappers and advertise this potential
connection as a reason to improve the map. even if there turns out to be
no connection, we are better off publicity wise already.

--
 Rihards