[Talk-us] Legal Research

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Sun Feb 21 23:55:53 UTC 2016

Ian

I was just emailed privately to say there's hesitation to release the original briefing since they’ve moved beyond that. But I’m not sure that’s better, since it sounds like there is no documentation and it’s still the same agenda.

Also, I’m on the LWG and I saw the emails to the OSMF so I’ve seen all that too. If anything, it makes it more worrying. All of this has been brought up privately, it’s not new. You’re kind of skipping over why this isn’t a LWG or OSMF project. Can we not pretend that there was no feedback from them that was ignored?

This project would be great if some combination of the following happened:

a) the LWG ran it
b) the process to design the work we need was open (instead of sharing the results in the spring)
c) other companies and the community were involved, actively
d) we could also attract independent lawyers, since in the end we need real opinion anyway

I don’t think any of that is happening, which is a shame.

I think what’s happening, and I’m happy to be wrong, is that this is off and secret to make sure it doesn’t get overrun by crazy people on the mailing list. And that’s a legitimate concern. But the way it’s happening is to exclude everyone else too.

If the original briefing document is to be kept secret then whatever the new briefing is should be documented and open. This is fairly basic stuff, and it’s why, as far as I can tell, the OSMF and LWG didn’t get involved.

This really has the potential to be a great project of obvious benefit, but only if it’s open.

Best

Steve