[Talk-us] Map Your Train Ride!

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Feb 25 01:41:54 UTC 2016

Thank you to Rihards <richlv at nakts.net> who clarified that adding
highway=footway to a public_transport=platform only makes sense when
it is connected to another way containing a highway=* tag.
Otherwise, this doesn't make sense, as the platform acting as a
footway "floats" and can break some GPS routers.  (I have modified
our public_transport:platform wiki to clarify this, too).

So, tag platforms with:

public_transport=platform
and
railway=platform

and other tags that might apply, like rail=yes or light_rail=yes or
subway=yes or tram=yes depending on what sort of rail infrastructure
underlies the route relation.

But please DON'T add highway=footway to the platform node/polygon,
UNLESS it is connected to another way containing a highway=* tag.

Thanks,
SteveA
California