[Talk-us] API Behavior

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Feb 26 18:09:20 UTC 2016

Am 26.02.2016 um 18:09 schrieb Richard Welty:

> the problem is that detecting the condition is pretty expensive.
> consider long, straight boundaries that pass through your
> bounding box. the search to find these segments of ways
> might have to range out pretty far.

Pretty far == the whole dataset/the world

Naturally that is simply the extreme case.

 I always recommend to add a node even in completely straight lines
every couple of dozens of meters/yards to be on the safe side and to
keep everything editable.

Forgetting the extreme case, maybe we should have some kind of bounding
box based index for ways and relations (note we don't use PostGIS and it
wouldn't actually help in this case, so this would have to be home grown
in some form), naturally calculating the bounding box would make many
operations that are now very cheap rather expensive.

Simon