[Talk-us] Best practices for coastline to Inland Bay / River transition

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 21:41:04 UTC 2016

On Thursday 07 January 2016, Elliott Plack wrote:

> What are the current accepts best practices for determining where to
> "cut off" the coastline and to begin a river or bay type feature? The
> wiki seems to be in disagreement about this, and I've read chatter
> about switching to ocean polygons.
>
> Let's take the mighty Potomac River. It is tidal from the mouth to
> points upstream from Washinton, DC, yet at some point it switches to
> waterway areas and relations.

See:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Coastline-River_transit_placement

Current placement at the Potomac is completely fine - i would see room
for moving it both downstream to near the bridge north of Colonial
Beach or upstream to Alexandria but no particular need for either.

I would strongly suggest keeping Chesapeake Bay mapped as coastline.
While this is very shallow ecologically it has largely maritime
characteristics.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/