[Talk-us] Local OSM groups in the US

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 12 09:19:44 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Martijn van Exel <martijn at openstreetmap.us>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> Eleanor, Clifford and I started talking about ways to make local OSM
> groups more successful, and / or how to support more of them. See our
> meeting notes here if you are interested:
> https://gist.github.com/mvexel/ffefcbf2c3012af51f16
>
> Currently we are compiling a list of local groups that are active. Here is
> what we have right now (after only a bit of searching Meetup by Clifford)
>
> Bay Area OSMToronto OSM EnthusiastsOSM ColoradoOSM SeattleOSM Salt Lake
> CityOSM Tampa BayPhoenix GeoOSM St. Louis Mid America MappersOSM Southern
> CaliforniaOSM OttawaMapping DCOSM Kansas CityOSM VancouverMapGive
> mapathon (DC)
> Do you know of any others, please let us know! With a link / contact
> person if possible.

Unusual and highly specialized group:  Missouri Exotic Species Arts
Association.  Meets once annually at Robber's Cave State Park in Oklahoma
(not Missouri, at the Wild Nights convention organized by the same group)
and isn't primarily an OSM group, but is interested in mapping POIs of
interest to attendees and encourages the use of OSM-based apps for offline
navigation (as cellphone service is spotty at best in the region, making
online options difficult to use, and as observed in previous years, Google
Maps offline mode does not work as expected or at all); and many apps
provide some nice-to-haves in an area riddled with abrupt speed limit
changes and nasty enforcement like speed warnings) and uses OSM maps in the
conbooks (thanks to Mapbox making it easy to make a themed rendering).

I'm the primary contact for the cartography efforts.