[Talk-us] shop=chemist as "Drugstore" for Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, etc.

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Tue Jul 5 17:08:26 UTC 2016

After arriving at a local drugstore chain with a prescription in hand,
walking past the shampoo aisle, only to find that the pharmacy counter is
closed for the day, I've been updating tagging of drugstores and pharmacies
as described here.

For example, there is a Walgreens:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/266495943

The building outline has shop=chemist.

Inside the building, there are 2 Nodes, one for the pharmacy and one for a
clinic:

amenity=pharmacy
dispensing=yes
drive_through=yes
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4064469934

amenity=doctors
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4064469933

In this case, all of these entities have different opening hours.  Other
contact info like phone and website may be different as well.

For the older style independent pharmacy, I do still use amenity=pharmacy
on the building outline:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/218176300

They do sell a few items like bandages without a prescription, but they
don't have the extensive personal hygiene section of typical of the
drugstore chains.  The pharmacist is also on duty for the entire time this
shop is open, so it doesn't feel like there are two separate entities
operating in the space.

Peter